Wednesday, September 25, 2002

arGH I am so pissed! I'm eating dinner downstairs, and some friend of John sits down with us. Jeff, the guy, tells us how he forgot his meal card, and had to go back upstairs and get it. When John asked why he didn't just tell the lady at the desk to pull out the list of ID numbers, he said that the catelog wasn't out anyways, and she couldn't even tell what she was saying.
the moron: "How can you work in America and not know English?"
For some reason, that enraged me; it a typical remark by an ignorant, condescending bastard. So I figured I'd let him know:
"I know, huh? Damn those immigrants! Why don't they just stay in their own country with their own dirty language??"
The moron AGREED with me!!
Stupid f*ck.
"I mean, why should she try and transcend the language barrier and work in a country with more opportunities and better her situation in life, right?"
The moron gets all 'whoa, calm down' on me.
John warns him that I am 'feisty' and take Tae Kwon Do, which I don't. Christy corrects him with kickboxing. He says he figures all us Chinese people knew karate, anyways, which is still totally different. But John and Christy and I kid all the time, so I let it slide. This guy keeps noT shutting up and gets all stuck up about America with me.
I proceed to give him stats on how America's literacy rate is pathetic and about 30 percent of adults read on a fourth grade level. Jon says "At least they can read". He, at least, is just amused with me; he's used to this by now. But this other guy is seriously ticking me off. I tell him America's reading and math levels SUCK. And that the woman at the counter is over 45 and it's incredibly hard for her to learn another language. I mean, sh*t. HE doesn't know another language. I learned English, but it was easy for me; I was 6. Christy learned English in the 7th grade. My dad friggin moved here, learned English, and worked his ass off. This little prick then has the nerve to say 'IF' he went to another country he would learn their language. MY. ASS.
THeN he has the nerve to ask Christy and I if we were born in AMerica. When I ask why, he doesn't heed the warning tone in my voice and continues on his stupid tirade. "Because you have no pride in America!"
That is totally not true, since I had just pointed out that the lady probably came here becaUSe of this country's better opportunities, but obviously his brain is too small to process that. But I took a breath and asked him which aspects of America I 'should' be sO proud of. He said all of it. I ask sarcastically "yeah, because America's sO perfect, right?". He agrees. StuPID f*CK. "INdependence... blah blah.."
I get up and leave and hear something register in his empty little brain as he suddenly gets that I'm pissed.
I just couldn't eat anymore. I was so flaming mAD. Christy tells me later that he says I'm umpatriotic, blah blah. I hate it when people tell me that. Just because I wish to correct the faults and get angry at the hypocrisy of this country sometimes, doesn't mean i'm not glad I live here. I mean, my parents nagged at me all the time to better myself, doesn't mean they hated me. Being blind to the faults of America is no worse then seeing only the bad things. I can see the good things in America, that's why my parents came here, after all. But can the moron see the stereotypical ignorance he epitomizes just by saying we should all speak English perfectly? Idiot. I can't believe he despises immigrants.
It's ok. One day, when I own him, I'll let him know my parents were immigrants and my kids' English is better than his little brats'.

posted by Steph at 3:58 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home