Saturday, November 09, 2002

ABSA date auction last night.
Thank GOD I didn't have to self-esteem to go up there.
Geezus. The way some of those girls moved... the short skirts... the using-the-guy-as-a-pole-to-increase-the-bid...
It was interesting though. Those girls had more confidence than I've had in the past 18 years combined.
All proceeds went to charity. Average person went for 200$. Some got less than they should've, some more. There was one pret-ty buff guy who benched some girl, and by the end all the girls in the audience were screaming at him to take his shirt off. Even then he only went up to 160, which was pretty sad. I think girls are a lot more easily bid on than guys are.
Man, that guy was buff. I'm usually not that into the 'oo he's hot because he's got muscles' thing, but hey, I'm a girl, and when I'm on an estrogen high, boY do I appreciate it. Chris and Joe made fun of me. blEH on you. I don't necessarily like big muscles though, cause sometimes that's too much. Some definition is nice. What can I say. It's a biological thing. I mean, I listened to the guys I was sitting with whistle and drool over the females all night.
But back to the guy.
I considered using my credit card, then calling my dad and going, "Guess what, Daddy? You just donated 200$ to the Diabetes Association."
But I didn't.
The best part: When this one girl went for 550$. The bid just went back and forth between this one group of guys (her friends, or her organization, I think?) and this other lone, hotshot rich guy. He was sO calm and nonchalant. He didn't yell, didn't stand up, just made the motion of the amount he was bidding with his hands. 250. 300. 350. 400. He upped the bid 50$ at a time. It was great. *sigh* what a guy. hahaha. Anyways, I think you need people like that to make these charity things successful. The crowd went crazy everytime his hand went up. After that the bidding dwindled and wasn't as fun anymore.
I can't say the show was very well put together, though.. and I thought they couldn't chosen some better MCs to facilitate the flow of the whole thing... they just weren't competent enough.. First they'd increase the bid from 60$ to 150$, then for the next one they'd raise it excruciatingly slowly.. 5$ at a time starting from 30$.
Overall, an interesting experience.
We ate chinese food afterwards. It was good.

Today: Football ushering. I woke up late; at 7:10 am..ran downstairs and met everyone at 7:30. We walked to the stadium.. where we were to spend the rest of the morning and afternoon ushering. Whatever that means. I didn't even know what I was doing. I found out you basically just direct people and check for tickets, basically. 10 people from the club ushering the whole game = about 600$ for ABSA.
I spent hours doing this:
::smile:: "May I see your ticket stub? ::nod:: Thank you ::smile::
repeat a hundred gazillion bazillion times. I thought my face was gonna break.
We had a great location though, at the "end zone club", where rich people pay some annual fee to have this tent where they can drink and eat, since they can't drink in the stadium. I mean, geez. I think if you're gonna eat, drink, and watch it on some big screen, why do it next to the field? Just go home. But it was an easy job, and we weRe at the end zone, which means a pretty good view for my first UT football game.
During one break I got to go into the stands, and watched the people around me go crazy as we scored a touchdown. The .. spirit these people have was impressive. I can kinda see how the excitement can build up so easily now. It was pretty cool.
But not thaT cool. It was mostly hot, and noisy, so I left after 2 minutes.
I feel like I sold my soul to ABSA. hahahaha. But I do enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't do this. I'd be a lazy-ass without a club, anyways. So it's all good.
I'm tired now.
I'm gonna shower and take a nap so I can play mah-jongg tonight.

posted by Steph at 1:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home