Tuesday, November 05, 2002

I spent an hour in an RV yesterday, listening to some people just a little older than us, who right after, of in the middle of college, just bought an RV, painted it, and when on a road trip across the country. They interviewed people like founder of Starbucks, Michael Dell, the CEO of National Geographic, director of Saturday Night Live, etc. It was interesting how much more open-minded and ... open-minded they seemed .. one guy had came from this tiny little church of Christ college, and was gonna do pre-med, then all of the sudden junior year he got tired of it all and did this. Instead of just learning and memorizing things, they went out to see what these leaders actually did in the real world. not a bad idea.
I had been focusing so much on figuring out my major in Business lately. While I did want to do business and believe I could be good at it, it was also because I couldn't be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. After I narrowed down my field to business, I had to work on narrowing it down to Finance, accounting, etc. Just listening to these guys made me realize I was turning into what they were trying to get away from. While I still plan to stick to my same path, I learned that you can focus, yet still keep an open mind and be think of things differently than other people, and get more out of it. I dunno. You had to be there, I guess.
The walls of the RV were covered in Sharpie signatures left by all these different people they met. They got Nike to sponsor some of their stuff, all these free Apple 18" flat panels, etc. It was really cool...they have a book coming out, and no idea what to do next. I could never do that, just pick up and leave. I'm too conditioned already, but it was really admirable, what they did. And they seemed so much wiser for it.
The website.

posted by Steph at 9:10 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home