Saturday, January 04, 2003

It's 4 am and I can't sleep.
I'm listening to all these sinatra, nat king cole, jimmy durante, 50's, lounging-jazzy-dinner songs and I want to be transported to back then - to an outdoor dance floor - lit dimly with candlelights from nearby linen-covered dinner tables and strings of white christmas lights.
A live band - saxaphones that swoop up and down with the music, a smiling piano player - eyes closed, fingers flying, foot tapping - a tuxedo clad singer crooning some classics, and people dancing - not in the formless, classless way we do nowadays, crammed on a dark smoky floor, but with enough room in between two people to really move - swinging, spinning, dipping.
No worries about how you look or dance, guys harassing you and groping you while you dance - just dancing with the music because you can't help it.
No jeans, tank tops at dinner - but black and white - black skirts that twirl when you move and white crisp shirts. I love the whole classyness of it all.
Maybe that's why I like my nightgown so much. It remotely reminds me of another time. maybe the 1700s. I don't know why I like the whole daydreaming about being in other time periods so much.

posted by Steph at 2:05 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home