Sunday, July 13, 2003

My sister and I take my little 9 year old cousin Angeline to WalMart to pick up some stuff.
I was instructed by her mom to get her a toothbrush as well.

So I peruse the wide selection of colorful toothbrushes and select and purple and pink one.

"Is this one ok? It's pretty small. You like purple, right?"

She silently accepts it, not looking up at me.

"What? You don't like it?"

She shrugs.
I shrug.
We continue walking.
I turn around, and notice she's not looking very happy. But of courSE, you doesn't saY so.

I sigh. "What? what's wrong? You don't like the color? It's too big?"

She nods.

"Geez. Ok."
Back to the aisle.
"You'll have to get a kid one. None of these other ones will fit in your little mouth."

She nods reluctantly.

"Do you like Barbie?"

::shakes head::

"Blue's clues?"

::shakes head::

"Toy Story? Rugrats? Big bird?!"
My voice is bordering hysteria and the other patrons are now staring at us curiously.

"Loony Toons. Here. You like purple. Here is a purple Marvin the Martian."

I hand it to her.

She hands it back to me.

"Tweety! You like tweety. Here is an orange one."

She doesn't like the Sylvester cat on it.

"BLUE! YOU LIKE BLUE! Here is a blue Bugs Bunny. With stars one it. PPREEEETTY.. GET IT!!"

She takes it, turns it around, stares, and agrees.

"You sure? You like it? You're not gonna cry, right?"

She smacks my butt (it's eye level) and glares at me.

"ok... you know, in my day, we didn't PICK our toothbrushes. We didn't have these fancy shmancy characters and glitter. YOu kids these days are spoiled! SpoileD I tell you. So many choices! Now let's get the hell outta here, you picky little brat. "

She glares again and tries not to laugh.

But at least we got her a toothbrush.

posted by Steph at 5:51 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home