Monday, June 07, 2004

Just got back from a weekend in New York. A cousin got married. It was very pretty and nice. I don't think I would ever want to live in a city; it's too crowded and rushed and impersonal. It's hard to explain. It's nice to visit and all, but I'd never live there.

Lately all the conversations I've been hearing at work have been about engagements and marriages and baby showers. One of my co-workers is only a few years older than me, and she's engaged. Everywhere I look in the office the women are sporting diamond rings. It makes me very uneasy. Everyone's pregnant. One of my other cousins who was at the wedding just got married a few months ago and is only 26 and they're pregnant also.

It seems I never seem to fall into a category. During college hearing all the upperclassmen talk about interviews and internships and jobs, I felt so young and unexperienced. Finally I feel like I'm somewhat catching up in school and now I'm thrown in an enviroment where I know nothing and feel oh so young again. It's frustrating.

This is the first time in a long time I'm going to spend my whole summer in Houston, and the first time ever I'm living alone for so long. In the past two weeks traveling back and forth from houston to seattle and seattle to houston and houston to new york and back again, I realized how I've really never been on my own - kind of sad.

Shanna, I don't know how the heck you went to a foreign country last year for the whole summer. But one thing Shanna did say is true - traveling alone as a girl, there is always someone very nice who offers assistance with pulling your luggage off the conveyor belt thing or putting your stuff in the overhead bin. Little things like that always make me feel better.

I guess lately I've had a lot of time to think about things. I used to constantly want to speed ahead in life - learn more quickly, do things faster, grow up sooner, graduate noW. I think for the first time I've finally let some of that mentality go and have learned just to slow down and take things in.

I've been learning so much about so many different things and it's so hard to have to keep it to yourself during the day. Even if I could talk to someone all the time, so many things are so hard to explain. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I should go to sleep and I'm not sleepy.

posted by Steph at 7:43 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home