Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Seeing as how gas prices are ridiculous these days, work is almost an hour commute and parking in a garage downtown costs 100 dollars a month, I was lucky enough to find 2 other people who live in Sugar Land to car pool with.

One of these guys is a very white white guy (no, I'm not being redundant) with both UT and A&M decals on his car, has one of these Jesus fishes, and won't eat anything unless it has meat in it. Oh, and he hates the French.

The other is this Indian guy who lived in Singapore for the first 5 years of his life, then in Australia for another 12 or so. They are as different as can be, but we all manage to get along very well.

Today I had to stop by Chinatown to pick up some stuff I was getting hemmed from a tailor, and for their trouble I treated them to shaved ice. The Aussie had it many times and knew which places were bad (Star Snow), which were ok (Coco's in Austin) and now knows that May's Ice is the best. The white guy was teased the whole time to Chinatown about how we were going to force feed him beans with sugary ice and taro root and peanuts.

I think it's been awhile since I've been exposed to such diversity; honestly, ABSA may hold everything else my heart could ever desire, but it sorely lacks cultural diversity. At work I'm the only Asian; everyone else is white black hispanic indian. It's kind of nice. Don't be surprised if next year ABSA has some non asian recruits.

As we were driving back home, I apologized for the detour we had to make, and The Aussie mentioned something about it being ok, he was just 'hanging with his homos.' The American and the Asian laughed hysterically as he tried to correct himself "I meant homies! I meant homies!"

I never realized how much you enjoy work depends so much on the people you work with.

posted by Steph at 5:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home