Monday, June 14, 2004

Why is it guys can't stand losing to girls?

I mean, I understand if a guy gets beaten by a girl in arm wrestling or basketball or something. That's not to say that there aren't really strong or athletic girls out there; just on average, males are stronger, bigger and faster.

Yet with things like card games, or billiards, that don't require strength or speed, most guys will still throw a fit when they *gasp* 'lose to a girl.' If another guy wins, they pat each other on the back; it was obviously a fair game. If a girl wins, they take it as a personal attack on their manhood.

The fact that men are so insulted by losing to a female insults females even more. Are we not logical enough to calculate the odds in a winning hand, observant enough to catch a tell, or skilled enough to get the eight ball in the side pocket?

It pisses me off because if I win, I can't gloat like a guy - the neanderthal is mad enough already. If I lose, I have to endure his bragging. What a crock of sh*t.

On Friday, Foley's treated all the interns out to a few hours at Jillian's as a 'group activity'. They reserved 4 pool tables. I hadn't played in a while, and practiced even less, but I managed to do well, and actually beat 4 guys in a row. This is not to gloat, because while I clearly enjoy winning, this time I definitely did not have fun doing it. In fact, I was extremely irritated the whole time.

Each time they lost it was the whole 'I can't believe I lost to a girl.' 'It must have been a fluke - play again' 'Are you hustling me?' NO, moron. Hustling is when I pretend to play badly and then coax you into playing for money and then beating you by a lot. BEATING YOU ALL THE TIME IS NOT HUSTLING. One guy even stopped talking to me for an hour. Whining idiots.

Either way, they just kept sending over more and more skilled pool players and I lost. But did I cry about it? NO. None of that "Wah. I lost to a boy! poopoopoo!" Geezus.

But on that note, it's not too bad to be a girl too. Sure, you have to deal with stereotypes and crap, but it's only a disadvantage if you make it so.

I made up for it when we went to happy hour by not drinking anything, saying how I was underage, and didn't want to drink, and my throat hurt anyways, and blah blah blah until I was bought drinks. It's amazing how by acting like a stupid girly girl - "Oh I couldn't possibly drink this" - you can get guys to fufill their own stereotypes and have them buy you stuff. It's even funnier because they think you're a girl, they think one drink will knock you out, so they keep trying to buy you more. Not only am I a girl, I have to be a friggin little girl.

I don't recommend this, by the way. I was just angry and wanted to test out a theory. I can't believe men are perfectly happy to buy you things (which I think is stupid - I don't believe the guy should ever have to pay for everything) as long as you don't pose a threat to their 'manhood' and pride. Screw that - I'll earn my money and theN take down their pride.

Either way, I don't feel bad for what I did, because by losing those all those games some of those guys technically still owe me their paychecks. I let them off easy.

posted by Steph at 5:52 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home