Thursday, July 15, 2004

The past two days at work have been spent at different malls.  Yesterday was at the Woodlands, which has got the be one of the bestest malls I've been to in a long time.  I like it better than the Galleria.
 
Today we went to Memorial to competitive shop; which means to check out the competing stores for your division.  Being in the costume jewelry buying office, I went to Dillards, JCPenny, Express, etc. to check out their floorplans, caselines, prices and presentation of their jewelry.
 
Anyways, at one point a group of the interns met back up at Foley's, and I went with a co-worker to help him look at women's shoes (which was the poor guy's division).  We were having fun picking out stuff and commenting on the shoes when I notice the sales lady staring at me rudely.  I'd look up every now and then, and I'd see her glaring at me.
 
I couldn't figure out why until I noticed that the rest of the interns were gone and it was just the shoe guy and I shopping.  I thought maybe we were laughing too loud, but it still bugged me so I pointed the woman out to shoe guy.  He took one look at her and dragged me out the store laughing.
 
Apparently the sales lady (who is black) thought that my co-worker (who is black) and I (small and asian) were shopping together, and therefore must be dating.    I couldn't believe it.  She was shooting me dirty looks because of thaT?  I mean, I think the thought crossed my mind, but the fact that my co-worker said it first made me think twice.  He said it's happened before with his friends, and he was pretty sure we weren't being too loud. I was indignant for about 30 seconds, then got over it.
 
Then we talked about interracial dating and he said while he preferred his own race, he wan't close minded about it, and I agreed.  We both decided it'd be funny to go back and prance around the rude woman together but figured we wouldn't be able to keep a straight face and settled for mimicking her shocked and disgusted facial expressions instead.
 
My goodness.  I've never been discriminated against before...


posted by Steph at 7:41 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger jerry said...

"My goodness. I've never been discriminated against before... "

Chances are you have it was just never so overt. Its not really the overt discrimination that scares me the most but rather what people keep inside of them that are never acted upon.

July 16, 2004 at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home