Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Asian Girls

This morning in the elevator at work a white guy squinted at me for 10 seconds, then asked,

"Bonnie, right?"

Bonnie is a small asian girl in my organization. She wears glasses and has completely different hair and clothes. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes and said my actual name very politely. He guffaws and says,

"Geez you must get that a lot, huh? You guys could past for twins. MAN! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh."

Flashback to a year ago, when I sat in a conference room at work and two white girls loudly whispered across the table to each about how much I looked like the asian girl sitting next to me.

"Omg they have the same last name... are they sisters?"

YES, moron. My sister and I both happened to start work in the same company. She's also like 5 shades darker than me. Oh! And she DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ME!

I am now suppressing an urge to growl and glare menacingly at the guy. He's still laughing.

"A yuk, a yuk.. so does anyone else ever call you by the wrong name?"

"Oh yes. They call me Ada all the time too. She's the other asian girl. HAhahahha. Isn't that funny?? All Asian people look the same!"

The guy whole heartedly agrees, keeps laughing and we both walk out of the elevator.

I walk all the way to my desk with a look of utter disgust and disbelief. I don't even know what to say to these types of people. I couldn't even be angry, because he genuinely thought it was funny in a non mean way.

What a fucktard.

posted by Steph at 9:53 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger pandashavesixfingers said...

I just read all your recent posts and my eyes are like this...@@. I remember you "yelled" at me once for having small text on my xanga...hmmm. =P

Anyways...I think you should call that guy by a different name each time you see him b/c you know...all white guys look a like too =P

October 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'm the only asian male on my floor, so luckily I don't have that problem. But you should've played along, and then when you and real Bonnie are in same room with him, make him feel real awkward until he cries.

October 24, 2007 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger yihong said...

there are two asian guys in my group, the other being this fat asian dude...and our manager still mixes our names up...i know i put on some weight and all but still...i'm like half the size of this other asian guy...ridiculous

October 25, 2007 at 5:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aww its ok steph i can tell who you are!! :D

October 26, 2007 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

5 shades darker?

How many shades darker am I than you?

-jc

October 26, 2007 at 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home